Friday, June 21, 2013

Mutton Liver Fry

Mutton was not much used by my mother in her cooking probably because of the high cholesterol levels it has. But when I reached Coimbatore   here almost everyone started telling me about the health benefits of mutton. I was surprised to hear the different parts of goat used in cooking. Whenever I was sick many advised me to drink "mutton soup". Latha, my maid and a born cook, was one among them. To me she was the brand ambassador of Mutton. Its she who taught me mutton delicacies. Thank you latha.....

The health benefits of lamb liver include ingestion of good quality protein. One serving of lamb can give you up to 23 grams or 40 per cent of daily intake of protein. Lamb liver is also very high in fat and rich in vitamin A.

My experiences with the liver was only during my Post delivery care. Amma used to give liver fried in ghee and pepper..

This liver recipe is truly excellent. I never knew liver was this tasty:)

Ingredients:
Mutton liver-1/4 kg
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Black Pepper- 5-6
Cinnamon-1/2”piece
Cardamon-2
Cloves-2
Big onion- 2
Ginger-1/2 “piece
Garlic-6 big cloves
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Red chili powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp

Method:


Saute big onions in oil for some time. When soft remove from fire .Grind Fennel seeds, black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cardamon and Cloves in a mixer. Add sauteed onions, turmeric powder, Red chili powder and Turmeric powder to the mixer and grind to a paste.

Pressure cook, liver with water covering the liver. Give 3 whistles.

 In a kadai, pour 2 tbsp of oil and add the pressure cooked liver with its water to this. Add the ground masala and mix well.

 Add salt and keep on reducing. When it becomes dry remove from fire.
Recipe Courtesy: Mrs.Latha,Coimbatore.